Skradin is a typical romantic Mediterranean town, characterised by elements of medieval architecture typical of urban systems in Dalmatia, including paved, narrow streets, passages and archways. The entire town centre is a protected cultural monument, and in it you can see houses with colourful façades influenced by the Venetian style, which were built in the 18th and 19th centuries. The simple structure of the town is defined by its long main street and perpendicular side streets. The south end of the main street opens out into the Mala Gospa Square, which has the Late Baroque parish church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, rectory and town hall in it. The remnants of Skradin castle, called Turina Fortress or Fortress of Ban Pavao Šubić of Bribir, are visible on the hill above the town.

The Parish and Abbey Rectory

The parish and abbey rectory is often singled out as the most beautiful building in Skradin. It is a museum treasury of religious and ethnographic heritage and an invaluable library. It holds a wide range of valuable paintings, oils on canvas from the 17th and 18th centuries, and a collection of brocade vestments and liturgical ornaments, chalices, reliquaries and monstrances.

Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The Baroque-style cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (crkva Rođenja Blažene Djevice Marije), which dominates the central square, was built on the ruins of a mosque erected by the Turkish authorities on the foundations of an even earlier, pre-Romanesque church, which they had destroyed (1522–1683). Upon taking over the town, Venetians initiated the construction of a new cathedral, which was largely financed by the Venetian Republic. The single-nave church, built in a Late-Baroque/Classicist style, was completed and consecrated on 16 April 1758.

In 1776, the church was given an organ from the Nakić school of organ building, which was constructed by the Italian organ builder Francesco Dacci. It was designated as a piece of cultural heritage of national importance due to their exceptional artistic value.

One of the peculiarities of Skradin is the campanile (bell tower) from 1872, which, due to its weight, was not built next to the Church of the Nativity of Mary as one would expect, but rather on a cliff 60 m away, on soft, marshy soil. The base of the bell tower is slanted, and standing above it are four floors with small Romanesque-style openings on every floor. The tower ends in a string of wide biforate windows and a masonry onion dome.

The Church of St. Jerome

The Church of St. Jerome (Sv. Jeronim) and its cemetery are located outside the town near the coast, to the east of the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It dates from the 16th century and has a relief on its façade. It was destroyed by the Ottoman Turks and rebuilt a century later. The inscription on the plaque above the entrance reveals that the reconstruction was completed during Bishop Antonio Trevisan in the second half of the 18th century. The cemetery was once the site of a monastery of the Order of St. Clare (Sv. Klara). Both the Church of St. Mary and the Church of St. Jerome have been under the protection of the Regional Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments in Split since 1974.

The Church of St. Spyridon

The Eastern Orthodox Church of St. Spyridon (Sv. Spiridon) was built in 1876 in the Neo-Gothic style, in the eastern part of town. Apart from contributions from the congregation, most of the funds for its construction were provided by the Austrian government and Emperor Franz Joseph I. The special value of the church lies in a large amount of icons and the 18th-century iconostasis made by the artist Rapsomanikis from Corfu.

The Church of St. Paraskeva of the Balkans

The Eastern Orthodox Church of St. Paraskeva of the Balkans (Sv. Petka) was built in 1895 on a hill located to the west of the town, as well as the Eastern Orthodox cemetery. The church was ravaged in WWII, and its icons were relocated to the newly built Church of St. Spyridon.